Minister for Education on the situation in Ukraine
At a press conference on 2 March, Minister for Education Anna Ekström and the Swedish Government have called for a cessation of contacts with Russian and Belarusian state institutions.
“The government calls for the immediate cessation of contacts and cooperation with state institutions in Russia and Belarus. Furthermore, no new contacts or commitments should be initiated,” Minister for Education Anna Ekström said at the press conference.
“Universities, other higher education institutions and research funding bodies have a very important role to play in standing up for knowledge, for academic freedom, for democracy and for human rights, and showing solidarity with students, teachers and researchers in Ukraine,” Ekström continued.
At the same time, the Minister for Education emphasised the importance of assessing collaborations with individual researchers carefully.
“It is important not to automatically treat individual Russian and Belarusian researchers in the same way as state institutions.”
- Press briefing with the Minister for Education, the Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions and the Swedish Research Council (Swedish only)
- The Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions expresses support for universities in Ukraine (Swedish only)
- European University Association (EUA) statement of solidarity with Ukraine
- The government announces - stop research collaborations with Russia and Belarus (News item from Swedish Research Council, Swedish only)
- EuroScience condemns the invasion of Ukraine and encourages Russian scientists to sign an open letter against war