Blended Intensive Programmes (BIP) are a format combining physical mobility with virtual learning.

“The main purpose of the blended intensive programmes is to encourage the development of transnational and interdisciplinary curricula and to promote mobility opportunities for students who have more limited options to participate in more conventional exchanges,” explains Iva Pristof, International Officer at the University Administration.

Certain requirements

All programmes and courses can be developed into an intensive programme with blended education. The additional features of physical and virtual mobility are what transforms them into a blended format.

In order to receive incentive funding, the programme must be developed and implemented by at least three universities from at least three countries participating in the Erasmus+ programme. A programme must provide at least 3 ECTS and a minimum of 15 participants are required. Virtual mobility must be a mandatory part of the learning process and the physical mobility aspect must be at least 5 days long.

“The purpose of the virtual part is to bring the participants together and encourage them to develop their teamwork skills, which in turn prepares them for a physical meeting. The physical meeting is an opportunity to put the acquired knowledge into practice,” says Pristof.

Can be used for collaboration beyond universities

The idea is for blended intensive programmes to promote internationalisation at home by having students from different countries collaborate and exchange ideas digitally.

“Blended intensive programmes are also excellent tools for developing cooperation between the University and other stakeholders, for example companies or municipalities. This is achieved through ‘living labs’, where the students participate in a project in which they develop solutions to specific social challenges,” notes Pristof.

“In addition, blended intensive programmes increase the integration of students and staff who have more limited options to take part in conventional exchanges, for example students with caring responsibilities, those studying regulated professions or doctoral students who, due to the nature of their studies, may be less inclined to participate in exchange activities.”

What support is available for those who want to make an application?
“We at the Department for Internationalisation at the University Administration are happy to advise on funding rules and requirements for organisational support.”