Decision on Vice-Chancellor selection process
On 20 February, the University Board took its decision on the process of appointing the Vice-Chancellor and Deputy Vice-Chancellor at Uppsala University. The description of the process forms part of the University’s Rules of Procedure, which are currently undergoing comprehensive revision.
The University’s Rules of Procedure, which describe responsibilities and decision processes, are being revised. They will now, for the first time, include the processes of obtaining nominations for the position of Vice-Chancellor and appointing the Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
During the autumn, a working group’s draft account of these processes was circulated for comment in the University, and today the University Board adopted this part of the Rules of Procedure. Also included is a simplified process when reappointment may be called for, and also terms of office for heads of department, deans, the Vice-Chancellor and Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
Another decision taken was to set up an ‘Electoral College’ to serve as a permanent consultative assembly. The new Electoral College is also intended to serve as an electoral assembly in elections of teacher members of the University Board, and to be given the opportunity to express opinions on nominee recommendations, and also to nominate the Chair and external members of the University Board.
The process used when recruitment takes place in open competition is described below.
• The Recruitment Group (two members appointed by the University Board; three academics and one other employee, all employed by their representatives in the Electoral College, and two members appointed by the students) draw up recommendations and engage in consultations with the University Board regarding the requirement profile, and send their recommendations to the Electoral College for comment. The requirement profile is adopted by the University Board.
• The Recruitment Group draws up a list of candidates. As far as possible, the Recruitment Group must nominate both male and female candidates, and engages in consultations with the University Board.
• The Recruitment Group submits names of candidates for consideration to the Electoral College, which invites the candidates to hearings. The University Board’s members are entitled to attend but not to express opinions at these hearings.
• The Electoral College submits its recommendation to the Recruitment Group, which passes it on the University Board. The University Board then decides on its recommendation for the post of Vice-Chancellor, and submits this to the Government, which takes the final decision.
When the Deputy Vice-Chancellor is appointed, the following also applies:
• For the appointment of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, the Recruitment Group engages in consultations with the proposed Vice-Chancellor regarding candidates for the position of Deputy Vice-Chancellor before consulting the University Board, which appoints the Deputy Vice-Chancellor.
The reappointment process is as follows.
• The Recruitment Group is appointed in the manner described above. The University Board tasks the group with carrying out a follow-up study of the current Vice-Chancellor’s and Deputy Vice-Chancellor’s work, and investigating the scope for reappointment. The University Board decides on a simplified process according to the Recruitment Group’s recommendation.
• The Electoral College invites the Vice-Chancellor and/or Deputy Vice-Chancellor (as the case may be) to a hearing. The University Board’s members are entitled to attend but not to express opinions at these hearings.
• The Electoral College submits its recommendation to the Recruitment Group, which passes it on to the University Board. The University Board adopts, for submission to the Government, its recommendation to reappoint the Vice-Chancellor or, as the case may be, decides to reappoint the Deputy Vice-Chancellor or initiate a recruitment process for the latter position in open competition.
The part of Uppsala University’s Rules of Procedure that has been approved will, following any revision necessary, be posted on Medarbetarportalen.