Proposal: New organisation for funding of research and innovation
Establish three new government agencies for funding research and innovation. This is the proposal presented by the government inquiry on research funding in its final report.
The government inquiry on the funding of research and innovation submitted its final report on 11 October 2023. The inquiry proposes that three new government agencies be set up:
- The Scientific Research Agency, which will be guided by researchers’ own priorities and will support basic research of the highest scientific and scholarly quality in all fields.
- The Strategic Research Agency, which will have a mandate to support research and innovation of major significance for Swedish society and business.
- The Innovation Agency, whose role will be to facilitate the implementation of research and innovation-based solutions to complex problems in society, in both the private and the public sector.
All external funding of research and innovation provided by the government under competitive conditions will be allocated via the three new agencies. Under the proposal, other agencies that currently issue calls for funding will stop doing so.
The current agencies Formas, Forte, the Swedish Research Council and Vinnova will be closed and the Swedish Energy Agency will discontinue its external research funding. However, the Swedish National Space Board will continue with its present activities.
- Opinion piece from representatives of the inquiry, Dagens Nyheter, 11 October 2023
- Final report, “Ny myndighetsstruktur för finansiering av forskning och innovation” (“New agency organisation for funding of research and innovation”), Swedish government website
- Terms of reference for the inquiry on research funding, Riksdag website