Regarding the war in Ukraine
The government has called on Swedish universities and research funding bodies to discontinue cooperation with state institutions in Russia and Belarus. Collaboration between individual researchers will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, taking security aspects and other factors into account.
Watch the press briefing and read the article on the Ministry of Education and Research website (in Swedish).
The Vice-Chancellor has delegated coordination of questions about the crisis in Ukraine to Deputy Vice-Chancellor Coco Norén, read the Vice-Chancellors's letter to all members of staff.
The group is taking stock of and dealing with issues as they arise.
- Caroline Sjöberg, University Director (chair)
- Fredrik Blomqvist, Chief Security Officer (convener)
- Per Abrahamsson, Chief Legal Officer (Head of the Legal Affairs Division)
- Erika Dabhilkar, Head of the Division for Internationalisation
- Eliane Forsse, HR Director
- Karin Apelgren, Head of the Student Affairs and Academic Registry Division
- Malin Dahlén, Head of the Division for Central Services and Administration
- Lisbet Holmberg Stark, IT Director
- Pernilla Björk, Director of Communications
- Måns Östring, Administrative Director, Science and Technology
- Tony Hansson, Administrative Director, Medicine and Pharmacy
- Johan Lundborg, Administrative Director, Humanities and Social Sciences
- Kaarina Ringstad (secretary)
Questions concerning students, agreements or employees will be dealt with by the relevant head of department and relevant administrative director.
Remember that emails are public documents.
Students should contact the course or programme coordinator, teacher, study adviser or for general questions email@example.com.
Chief Security Officer Fredrik Blomqvist will handle security-related issues, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Vice-Chancellor has appointed a group of academic experts to respond to factual questions relating to Ukraine and to give the University Management Team a deeper understanding of the war in Ukraine.
- Professor Isak Svensson, Peace and Conflict Studies
- Professor Inger Östendahl, International Law
- Professor Anna Jonsson Cornell, Constitutional Law
Support for staff and students
Support for staff
The occupational health service offers professional support to help members of staff who are experiencing stress or mental ill health.
More information about occupational health services in the Staff Portal
You can also always contact your line manager for support and advice about your experience of the situation and if it is affecting your work and your mental health.
Support for students
The Student Health Services offers professional support in the form of individual counselling and support for students’ mental well-being.
Student Health Services at Uppsala University
The University Chaplaincies
The university chaplains offer support and comfort to all University employees and students, whatever their religion or belief.
Contact the university chaplains in Uppsala
Contact the university chaplains in Visby
Deteriorating security situation and current advice against travel
The website krisinformation.se provides one-stop access to information from Swedish authorities about the current situation and what you can do if you are worried.
Information at Uppsala University
Ukraine and Russia: Experts at Uppsala University
Uppsala University research related to Ukraine and Russia – information and contact details (in Swedish).
News items from the Staff Portal
To heads of department and other managers in connection with the crisis in Ukraine
Minister for Education on the situation in Ukraine (2 March 2022)
Test of Sweden’s outdoor warning system (2 March 2022)
Digital source criticism important in times of war (1 March 2022)
The invasion in Ukraine (25 February 2022)
Statement from the Guild 21 March
The EU decides on temporary protection for refugees - European Commission
Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions expresses support for higher education institutions in Ukraine and strongly endorses the EUA’s statement of solidarity
SUHF workinggroup for regfugee issues (in Swedish only)
Read the statement from The Guild
Read the statement from The Coimbra Group
Read the statement from Enlight