Uppsala University: Mission, Goals and Strategies
Uppsala University: Mission, Goals and Strategies is intended to enhance the University’s status as a globally leading higher education institution, its position in society and its capacity to continually renew itself to meet present and future challenges.
Mission, Goals and Strategies describes the University’s goals and ambitions in the short and long term, along with fundamental requirements for achieving them. It focuses more on the goals – what the University wants to achieve and why – than on strategies for how to achieve the goals.
Education and research for a better world
The University rests on the idea and fundamental premise that investments in education and research contribute to a better future.
Uppsala University aspires to a leading role in the transition to a more sustainable society. Our education and research translate into new knowledge, better technology, improvements in the organisation of society and changed patterns of behaviour. Our University will put all its breadth and combined strength into supporting sustainable development, engaging with the wider community and promoting openness and respect.
Collaboration enables the academic knowledge base to make an impact and be of use in society. An equal opportunities perspective will be mainstreamed in all parts of the organisation.
Overall objective: Education and research of the highest quality and relevance
Six development goals to refresh the University’s education and research profile:
- Expand education and strengthen the connection between education and research.
- Develop research excellence and strengthen the capacity to attract prestigious grants in international competition
- Strengthen transdisciplinary and challenge-driven research
- Coordinate and concentrate the University’s resources
- Exploit the potential of Campus Gotland
- Develop collaboration as an integral part of education and research
Five strategic priorities to enhance quality and relevance across the entire University:
- Quality assurance and enhancement – transparent, effective and efficient
- Internationalisation – to drive quality and enhance skills
- Infrastructure – appropriate infrastructure to support education, strategy work to improve research infrastructure
- Talent attraction and career systems – recruitment and retention plans based on needs analysis and strategic considerations
- Support and environment – developing an inspiring and well-functioning physical, social and cultural environment and an attractive, open and inclusive study and work environment.