The unit offers consultative support when planning and performing a survey. Contact one of the co-workers at the Unit for Quality and Evaluation.
Survey tools at Uppsala University
The survey tool Kurt is available to use when constructing a survey. When constructing surveys that are more advanced you can use the tool Survey&Report.
Here you find more information on these survey tools.
When designing survey questions and response alternatives there are different choices to make. The choices concern for example:
- Open ended or fixed response alternatives, i.e. free text questions or questions with predetermined response alternatives.
- Odd or even number of response alternatives in questions with a fixed response scale.
- Number of scale steps in questions with a fixed response scale.
- Symmetrical or asymmetrical response scale. In a verbalised symmetrical response scale, the response alternatives on the extreme ends of the scale mirror each other (e.g. to a low degree – to a high degree), which is preferred when making quantitative analyses.
- Verbalising of all response scale steps or just the extreme ends.
- Question or statement to take a stand on.
- Possibility to use the response alternative “don’t know/not applicable”.
- Possibility to make a comment.
Consider consulting a survey method or statistics book if you want to know more about questionnaire design.