All use of electricity and heating has environmental and climate impacts and is expensive. The list below points out a few simple ways to help reduce energy consumption, which will save money and reduce the environmental and climate impact of the University’s operations. Many small actions add up to make a difference!
- Turn off the lights when you leave the room for more than a few minutes.
- Turn off the screen, loudspeakers and lights when you go for a break, lunch or a meeting.
- Turn off everything in the office when you go home at the end of the day: computer, screen, loudspeakers, lights.
- Don’t leave mobile phone chargers etc. plugged in when not in use.
- Activate power-saving mode on your computer and screen (= black).
- Select double-sided printing and copying.
- Is the workplace too warm, cold, draughty or stuffy? Contact your manager or the facilities manager. Don’t keep the window open and don’t use extra electric heaters. Working standing up will warm you up naturally. It is also good for your health.
- If you do lab work: close the fume hood completely when not in use.
- Defrost all freezers regularly. A thick layer of ice doubles energy use.
In April 2019, Uppsala University and Akademiska Hus entered into a cooperation agreement that includes energy issues and energy efficiency projects. Together we can get further!