Guidelines for images & photos
Photographs and illustrations have an essential role in communication with our target groups. By consciously choosing photos and images we shape our identity and recognisability, giving Uppsala University a clearer profile.
Here’s a quick guide:
- Use photos taken in Uppsala environments – as far as possible. The people shown in photographs should be our students and employees.
- Include the diversity of gender, gender identity, ethnicity, religion, impairments, sexuality and age so more people have a sense of belonging.
- Use new photos. Photos of students may not be older than three years, and photos of staff a maximum of five.
- A good photo has a clear focal point. Try to use photos of people with shallow depth of field (with an ouf of focus background).
- The image must bring something to the communication, such as clearly chosen values or specific information.
- Avoid using metaphors in images. Uppsala University is an international environment, and metaphors are easily misunderstood.
- It might not be possible to capture everything in one picture. Other messages can be conveyed through headings and texts. It is also possible to combine several images.