University united service for AV and VC
University IT Services, UIT, has been assigned the task of coordinating questions about technology and systems for equipment in lecture halls and meeting rooms. The service started in the spring of 2020 in a project commissioned by the university director.
The goal is to develop processes and routines to create user-friendly, stable, supported and easy-to-use systems for online lectures and e-meetings throughout Uppsala University (UU).
Today, systems, instructions and installations differ between campuses and also between institutions within the same campus. It places higher demands on those who use the systems and on those who provide user support, that they must know all the systems used. With more standardized systems and interfaces, the biggest benefit is that the systems will be easier and more confident in use.
Concepts and agreements
Audio-visual aids are abbreviated AV. This includes screens, projectors, control systems, sound systems and more.
AV is available in both small meeting rooms and lecture halls.
Video conferencing is abbreviated VC (swe VK). A qualified system most suitable for teaching. The systems UU uses are the same that SLU uses. UU has a collaboration with SLU on operations, management and second line support. Rooms equipped with video conferencing systems often have the abbreviation VC added to the room name in Outlook.
e-meeting equipment, simpler and cheaper than VC equipment suitable for eg Zoom meetings. The simpler equipment can be a so-called "thermos", a compact equipment that includes camera, microphone and speakers. This equipment is suitable for small rooms and groups, up to larger systems with speakers and microphone and with one integrated or standalone camera. The system can also be supplemented with stand-alone microphones in slightly larger rooms or to get good sound recording in more complicated rooms. Rooms equipped with e-meeting equipment often have the abbreviation eM added to the room's name in Outlook.
Support agreements are usually signed with suppliers or manufacturers in connection with procurement. It is good to have that issue included in the documentation during the procurement. It is often more difficult or expensive to get a support contract afterwards. There is no central agreement because we have a large number of suppliers due to the procurement procedure. Each supplier has its own concept.
This is UU's united service for AV and VC:
- Management of services with the goals of high user benefit and simplicity
- external monitoring
- technology evaluations
- incident management and follow-up second line
- contribute to the coordination of support staff
- training of local support staff
- workshops for users and support staff
- collaboration with educational developer, e-learning council, PRåM, RUL, student unions
- Technical platform coordination
- maintain a high ordering expertise and provide customer support
- suggest equipment for AV / VC
- develop UU common user interface on control panels
- develop standardized type rooms for a uniform environment, simpler decisions, easier procurement and procurement
- Procurement of suborder supplier for type room equipment
- management of the VC collaboration agreement with SLU
- work with project owners at the Building Division, commissariats and institutions to ensure that investments in AV and VC follow UU's strategies
The local support is today provided by the commissariat (intendentur) at most campuses. The staff working with the immediate support may belong to the UIT or the commissariat. How the support is managed for the activities that are not part of the commissariat cooperation varies. A review of the local support, the so-called first line support, will be carried out in 2020 by the unit for business support at UIT.
We who work with the university united service are:
The service is managed in the e-field Digital communication and telephony
Anders Jansson, e-coordinator of business operations (ek), unit Campus Lagerträdet
If you have any questions, please contact IT Support.