Incoming international trainees
Students from host universities abroad who want to do a traineeship or an internship at Uppsala University (e.g. within the Erasmus+ programme) are received as unpaid trainees/interns. Uppsala University does not have a central administration of incoming trainees. Instead, they are managed by the receiving department or unit.
Important information to give the trainee
The Department for Internationalisation recommends every receiving department or unit to inform incoming international trainees about the following:
- Whether you help interns find private accommodation and, if so, how.
- Possible insurance cover.
- Trainees are usually covered by Uppsala University's FUB insurance (formerly called GIF insurance) in the same category as incoming international staff. If you have questions about it, contact International Faculty and Staff Services.
- Trainees from universities outside Sweden are normally enrolled as students at their home institution and may in some cases be covered by insurance at the home institution. Feel free to recommend the trainee to check this before departure.
- StudentIN insurance does not apply to incoming trainees.
- The trainee can buy a guest card to access the nations. Read more about the nation guest card here.
To do before the trainee arrives
- Fill in the necessary form so that the trainee can get temporary registration in AKKA.
- Make sure the trainee gets a campus card with the authorizations they need, preferably on the first day on site.
- Find out what rules apply during working hours. What happens if the trainee for example causes damage in a lab?
How receiving incoming trainees differs from receiving incoming students
Trainees cannot study at UU during the traineeship
Trainees may not be registered on a course at the receiving university. It is also not possible for an incoming trainee to study regular courses or exchange courses at Uppsala University alongside their traineeship (even if the courses are not included in the internship). The trainees are often already registered on a course at their home university, which is yet another reason for why they should not be registered on a course at Uppsala University. In most cases, the trainees are aware of their status as non-students at the host university.
Less supporting functions
People who come to Uppsala University from a foreign university to do a traineeship are not covered by the same support functions as incoming students. Trainees do not get access to, for example, housing, t-number, insurance for incoming students, an Uppsala Student Union card or courses in Swedish.
No additional income to the receiving department or unit
The receiving department or unit does not get extra income for accepting a trainee. Rather, it should be seen as free help for a period of time.