EU financing instruments for research and innovation have succeeded each other in multiple-year “framework programmes”. The current framework programme runs until 2020 and is called Horizon 2020. H2020 consists of three pillars: Excellent Science, Societal Challenges and Industrial Leadership.
Excellent Science includes:
- The European Research Council (ERC)
- Mobility funding from Marie Skłodowska Curie Actions (MSCA)
- Investments in future technology, Future Emerging Technologies (FET)
- Funding for infrastructure
Societal Challenges includes:
- Thematic calls that address societal challenges.
Industrial Leadership includes:
- LEIT – Leadership in enabling industrial technologies contributes to increasing competitiveness, creating job opportunities and fostering growth.
- Access to risk finance aims to facilitate access to capital via financial instruments, such as loans, guarantees and equity, for companies and organisations involved in research and development.
- Innovation in small and medium-sized companies will give small and middle-sized companies customised support to stimulate innovation and growth.