Recruiting doctoral students
There are a number of aspects to consider when recruiting a new doctoral student. Below is a summary of procedures for calls for applications and selecting doctoral students:
- A doctoral programme group is established at each department, which could include the director for research studies at the department, a supervisor representative and a doctoral student representative.
- The doctoral programme group proposes the creation of a doctoral student position to the department board/head of department. This takes place when finances and projects allow, generally at the initiative of individual researchers.
- Available positions should be advertised locally on the department’s website and on the University’s jobs and vacancies page, in accordance with applicable regulations.
- The supervisor selects applicants to doctoral programmes in consultation with the department’s doctoral programme group. The department board approves the decision.
- Certification that the call for applications and selection procedures have been carried out as described above is given in connection with the creation and signing of the form “Application for admission to doctoral studies”.
- Advertising is not necessary when admitting a doctoral student employed by an entity other than the University, such as a county council, municipality or company.
- Advertising is not necessary when admitting a student to a later portion of their doctoral studies.
- Advertising is not necessary when admitting a student to licentiate studies.
- The Research Training Committee admits doctoral students.
Checklist when employing a doctoral student
- Funding is available
- Propose the creation of a doctoral student position to the department board
- Head of department/department board decides on doctoral position
- Advertising of a vacant doctoral position (there are exceptions)
- Qualifications of all applicants checked
- Selection from among applicants
- The head of department/department board decides on the ranking
- The highest ranking applicant applies for admission to doctoral programme
- Members of the Research Training Committee process applications at an ordinary meeting
- Supplementary steps, if needed
- Potential decision by the Chair concerning admission
- Applicant registered in Ladok
- Doctoral student can be employed