Recruiting PhD students
There are a number of aspects to consider when recruiting a new PhD student. Below is a summary of procedures for calls for applications and selecting PhD students:
- A PhD programme group is established at each department, which could include the director for research studies at the department, a supervisor representative and a PhD student representative.
- The PhD programme group proposes the creation of a PhD student position to the department board/head of department. This takes place when finances and projects allow, generally at the initiative of individual researchers.
- Available positions should be advertised locally on the department’s website and on the University’s jobs and vacancies page, in accordance with applicable regulations.
- The supervisor selects applicants to PhD programmes in consultation with the department’s PhD programme group. The department board approves the decision.
- Certification that the call for applications and selection procedures have been carried out as described above is given in connection with the creation and signing of the form “Application for admission to PhD studies”.
- Advertising is not necessary when admitting a PhD student employed by an entity other than the University, such as a county council, municipality or company.
- Advertising is not necessary when admitting a student to a later portion of their PhD studies.
- The Research Training Committee admits PhD students.
Checklist when employing a PhD student
- Funding is available
- Propose the creation of a PhD student position to the department board
- Head of department/department board decides on PhD position
- Advertising of a vacant PhD position (there are exceptions)
- Qualifications of all applicants checked
- Selection from among applicants
- The head of department/department board decides on the ranking
- The highest ranking applicant applies for admission to PhD programme
- Members of the Research Training Committee process applications at an ordinary meeting
- Supplementary steps, if needed
- Applicant registered in Ladok
- PhD student can be employed