Partial pension

As an Uppsala University employee, you can apply to draw partial pension from the month of your 61st birthday up to and including the month before your 65th birthday at the longest. This is laid down in the central collective agreement ‘Partial Pension Agreement for State Employees’ (Avtal om delpension för arbetstagare hos staten). Under Section 32a of the Employment Protection Act (Lagen om anställningsskydd, LAS) you are entitled, but not obliged, to remain in your job until the end of the month of your 67th birthday.

Eligibility to apply for partial pension is conditional on your having had, before the reduction in your working time, a collectively agreed pension entitlement for a total of 120 months.

Working hours may be reduced by a maximum of 50% of regular full-time work.

Your occupational pension from your employer is not affected if you draw partial pension. On the other hand, your basic (national) retirement pension is affected since only the actual time you spend working is pensionable. Moreover, partial pension provides no contributions to either income pension, premium pension or supplementary pension.

As an employee, you are obliged to ensure that you are informed of the financial implications of a decision on partial pension. Contact the National Government Employee Pensions Board (SPV) to find out how your pension is affected.

Information about SPV in Swedish

Purpose of the Partial Pension Agreement

The Partial Pension Agreement is intended to enhance older employees’ opportunities to keep working until regular retirement age, which is 65 years under the Government Occupational Pension Agreement (PA 03). Any decline in the rate of early retirement helps, for example, to facilitate skills transfer in conjunction with generation change.

How partial pension relates to other forms of pension

Partial pension should not be regarded as an alternative to disability pension. If you need a reduction in working time for medical reasons, you should apply to the Swedish Social Insurance Agency for sickness compensation. If the Agency decides to award you sickness compensation, you can apply to SPV for disability pension.

If you are drawing disability pension under PA 91 (the earlier occupational pension agreement for government employees) or PA 03 at 50% or more, partial pension cannot be approved for you. The Partial Pension Agreement requires employees to work at least 50% of normal full-time employment. If partial pension has been approved for you under PA 03 (or PA 91) and you subsequently receive sickness benefit or sick pay, on the other hand, you keep the approved partial pension. In special cases like this, it may be possible to combine partial pension with sickness compensation and disability pension.


The workplace (department or equivalent) pays the cost of partial pension. Of total payroll cost, 50% is covered by restructuring funds under the local collective agreement on active restructuring measures at Uppsala University.

Pay development

In normal cases, the customary individual pay-setting takes place in connection with a salary review. Pay rates are set on objective grounds and in accordance with pay-setting guidelines at Uppsala University.

A change in salary results in a proportionate change in partial pension. The HR Division notifies SPV of the change.

Read more under the following headings:

  • Guidelines and rules for partial pension
  • Applying for partial pension